2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Custom fonts into characters paths layers?

GIMP or GIMP LEARN forum related Questions
Krikor
Forum Member

Re: Custom fonts into characters paths layers?

Post#11 by Krikor » 14 Apr 2021, 14:54

skinnyhouse wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 17:08
How I wish I had one K. Life would be so much easier...

post #32 from this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2115&hilit=Trace&start=30

Tom used the Trace plugin (is it bundled with Inkscape?) to create centre lines that could be stroked with the path tool.

I found that I spent more time adjusting/correcting the paths than just creating my own from scratch so I gave up on it.

Let us know if you find a solution. I'm waiting for one! :trampoline:
Skinnyhouse,
I only did two experiments.
Not a solution, perhaps not even a novelty, but an option to be verified.

I used it in free mode, without filling out any form or registration.

https://online.rapidresizer.com/tracer.php
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#12 by skinnyhouse » 14 Apr 2021, 18:58

Sounds promising Krikor.

Look forward to seeing the final results of your work in FontForge.

Will try your suggestion to see if it improves the speed of my workflow.

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#13 by skinnyhouse » 23 Apr 2021, 10:03

Krikor:

Tried to pm you but no joy...

Just remembered that my Outlines Only filter has an option that will generate character paths in the format 'A path', 'B path' etc.

This may or may not be of any use to you but it could potentially shorten your workflow.

In the current version there is a bug that creates another path ie 'Selection #' for each character which I have now removed in my working copy.

It would be a simple matter to add an option to allow the user to name the suffix part of the path name.

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#14 by Krikor » 23 Apr 2021, 17:34

Hello Skinnyhouse ,

About pm, I'm sorry about that, but I never noticed much in that area of ​​the page where these messages appear, perhaps because they never gave a sign of life before. Only the option "Notifications" was of my use and knowledge.

Anyway, I clicked on this 'pm' option to check, and there are only old messages (2019) referring to a post that I must have marked to follow; but I didn't even know about this feature.

About remembering the 'Outlines Only filter', that was an excellent idea! :gimp_clap: :2_Thumbs: :thumbsup:

I no longer remembered (in fact, I don't even remember if I knew about this option of this plugin, generating paths) of that plugin as an option.

So I did some tests, ran the plug-in over and over again and I was definitely very pleased with the possibility of using it in the process I'm experiencing.

There were some setbacks.

One of them does not affect me at the moment, it is more related to the use with Custom Fonts than with the exclusive creation of paths.

As the font I am testing is not aligned to the left margin of the layer, and the plugin makes this adjustment for the generated contour layer, a cutout occurs in the part of the character that exceeds the right margin. with that, the generated contour occurs only in the part where the character is 100% within the adjusted margins for the contour.
2Margins.jpg
Krikor - about Outlines Only filter
2Margins.jpg # (32.08 KiB) Viewed 285 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile)
Perhaps if it could be possible to first apply the contour and then adjust the layer to the left margin, this could be avoided.

to be continued...
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#15 by Krikor » 23 Apr 2021, 17:50

skinnyhouse wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 10:03
Krikor:

In the current version there is a bug that creates another path ie 'Selection #' for each character which I have now removed in my working copy.

It would be a simple matter to add an option to allow the user to name the suffix part of the path name.
I noticed this duplication in the generation of paths. But I didn't think it was a bug.
In fact, the paths generated are slightly different. There is a certain degree of smoothness in the contour of paths of type 'A.path', 'B.path', etc.
The paths of type '#Selection' are more faithful to the contours of the characters. Greater proximity to the original character layout.

In red the outline of the path of type # Selection.
In blue the outline of the path of type A.path.
2pathsok.jpg
Krikor - something
2pathsok.jpg # (185.06 KiB) Viewed 285 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile)
In the case that I'm doing preliminary tests, I'm using a cursive calligraphic font, and trying to preserve the character's identity. In this case, the paths of type '#Selection' become the chosen ones in this task.

To be continued soon ...

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#16 by skinnyhouse » 23 Apr 2021, 18:24

Krikor:

The bug was not in creating two paths but in not removing one of the paths - although they do no harm and add little to the size of the file.

The reason two paths were created is that there is an option to distort the original path.

In my revision I have retained the first path - the one that you prefer - unless the option to distort the outline is set.

The revision also places the character layer at the image origin ie to the left hand margin before creating an outline and so no longer crops the character.

Would this create problems for you?

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#17 by Krikor » 23 Apr 2021, 19:29

skinnyhouse wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 18:24
Krikor:

In my revision I have retained the first path - the one that you prefer - unless the option to distort the outline is set.
:2_Thumbs: :thumbsup: :goodjob:
skinnyhouse wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 18:24
The revision also places the character layer at the image origin ie to the left hand margin before creating an outline and so no longer crops the character.

Would this create problems for you?

The Custom Fonts I created were all aligned to the left margin. This is the trend I intend to keep when creating facing Custom Fonts.

But for creating .ttf or .otf fonts with the help of FontForge this alignment is unnecessary, so this font I'm testing is not aligned to the left margin.

So adjusting the margin of the layer before applying the contour would not be a problem.

But ... I thought that it would be necessary to first apply the outline to only then position the layer to the left margin, since when applying the outline the width of the layer with the outline will be greater than the layer of the original character - being able to decentralize the characters . But just rambling ...

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#18 by Krikor » 23 Apr 2021, 19:32

...Continuation,

Referring to the plug-in recently created by Tim; Alpha-Layers to SVG, the problem that Windows has with sensitive cases for filenames has surfaced.

A little of this problem can be read at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2943&start=10

The solution was to change the names of the layers one by one; Both to differentiate uppercase and lowercase letters and to allow the creation of file names for punctuation characters (?, ', ¨, *, etc.).

In the case of the Outlines Only filter, the names are already added with the word 'Path', which eliminates the problem of insensitive Windows cases and the need to rename some characters one by one.

But I still haven't figured out why not all characters are generated. :fb_wow:

Of the 124 existing characters, the Outlines Only filter plugin only creates 113 (or 226 when I generate with the option that creates both versions of paths).

I will have to investigate further to try to understand what may be going on.

Skinnyhouse thx a lot!

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#19 by skinnyhouse » 23 Apr 2021, 21:00

Krikor:
Version 0.03 Outlines Only handles unicode characters so I wondered what characters you have in your file?
A test with one of my files that has 178 characters (accented for French, German, Italian, Spanish and Polish) produced named paths for them all.

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#20 by Krikor » 23 Apr 2021, 22:50

skinnyhouse wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 21:00
Krikor:
Version 0.03 Outlines Only handles unicode characters so I wondered what characters you have in your file?
A test with one of my files that has 178 characters (accented for French, German, Italian, Spanish and Polish) produced named paths for them all.
Skinnyhouse,

Attached is a reduced version. I removed most of the letters and all the numbers. The characters are used with the Portuguese language.

Note: Disregard this post. After re-checking everything works as expected.
Last edited by Krikor on 23 Apr 2021, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic