2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Growing/Shrinking Brush on Path Plug-in

Share your Python Fu Scripts/plug-ins for GIMP here
tim
GL Blogger

Growing/Shrinking Brush on Path Plug-in

Post#1 by tim » 10 Dec 2020, 15:13

Asked by Wallace (in discord chat).
To draw a path with increasing/decreasing size.
so here it is:
growing-brush-on-path.py #
(4.37 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Menu Location: Python-Fu/Growing Brush On Path...

Instructions:
1. Open image with an active path.
2. Choose your brush.
3. Run plug-in. You can set starting brush percentage (small number) and ending brush percentage (large number). Designed to be growing in size but because of nature of Math, you can go from larger size to smaller size as well.
Percentage will act on current brush-size.
And you can choose how many brushes on average (per 100 pixels to draw).
It'll brush the path keeping angle relative to context's brush's angle.

That's it.
Sample result:
growing-brush-on-path-plugin.png
growing-brush-on-path-plugin.png # (199.01 KiB) Viewed 3920 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile)
aka Tin

tim
GL Blogger

Post#2 by tim » 10 Dec 2020, 15:46

Another play with this plug-in
Here I just hand-drawn a hash (#) symbol and use plug-in to repeat it so it looks like train tracks.
sample-hand-drawn-train-tracks.png
sample-hand-drawn-train-tracks.png # (122.43 KiB) Viewed 3914 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile)
aka Tin

Wallace
Global Moderator

Post#3 by Wallace » 10 Dec 2020, 16:29

Thanks Tim!

Wallace
Global Moderator

Post#4 by Wallace » 11 Dec 2020, 00:35

It worked out well.
dash_test.png
dash_test.png # (20.58 KiB) Viewed 3889 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile)

tim
GL Blogger

Post#5 by tim » 11 Dec 2020, 05:26

man that's a good looking dash!
aka Tin

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#6 by Krikor » 12 Dec 2020, 14:24

It is a pity that it does not work with all brushes and that it does not enable the dynamic functionality of the brushes.

But still a useful plugin.
Thx Tin.
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

tim
GL Blogger

Post#7 by tim » 12 Dec 2020, 18:10

dynamics doesn't work because I resize the brush then call the brush at each location like dotting them
instead of moving brush stroke that dynamics apply to.
Not sure how i would do dynamics there are so many options with dynamics but one of which isn't size based on length
or anything based on length.
I guess that's a GIMP feature that can be built hopefully by GIMP developers.

UPDATE: Which brushes doesn't it work for?
And which dynamics do you want to control...probably can't do the whole dynamics options like GIMP offers but I am sure I can add some more options (other than size changing and rotate to path angle).
It's all a matter of doing calculations for each brush (location).

It works with "Acrylic 01" Brush which is animated brush, as GIMP automatically switches to a different frame of brush after each brush (location).

Let me know what dynamics you want and I can try to make it less pitiful :cool:
aka Tin

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#8 by Krikor » 12 Dec 2020, 23:04

Hi Tim,

I am not sure which brushes do not work with the plugin. I thought of attaching some three that I found but they are very large; above 10 MB. But I found a little one that I leave attached.

I just thought about the possibility that a brush I created had this behavior; growing while following a path.

In the image below, on the right the normal brush stroke and on the left the brush after running the plugin.
BrushGrowPath.jpg
Krikor - Brush Growing Path
BrushGrowPath.jpg # (57.38 KiB) Viewed 3827 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile)
I thought that with the plugin I would have both effects, the brush twisting simultaneously (concomitantly) to its growth.

Thx Tim.
Attachments
FootPrints_01_small.zip #
Krikor - FootPrints_01_small.gih
(32.23 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

tim
GL Blogger

Post#9 by tim » 12 Dec 2020, 23:35

The foot prints brush you attached is hardcoded to use angular frames so it doesn't work with the plug-in.
However with these brushes we can just open them up as a regular image and edit the frames and save it as our own brush to work with plug-in.
Here I have attached is the foot-print brush that would work with plug-in.
TT-foot.zip #
(4.53 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
(note: I did have to set angle 90 as active brush angle since the two frames I used for the brush the feet are pointing upward and not to the right which is default 0 angle.)
foot-prints.png
foot-prints.png # (20.2 KiB) Viewed 3825 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile)
aka Tin

tim
GL Blogger

Post#10 by tim » 12 Dec 2020, 23:51

with your multi color brush from looking at your result, looks like you just have to increase number of average brushes per 100px setting in plug-in and they should draw more brushes to create the twisting effect because the twist is already happening just too far apart.
aka Tin

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic